Health Check…Why Bother?
It’s that time of year again – festive indulgence is becoming but a distant memory and New Year’s resolutions may be starting to wear thin! You may not realise it, but it’s actually an ideal time to book yourself in for a Health Check.
You might be wondering why you should bother – nothing new is necessarily amiss with your health, so is it worth the effort? The resounding answer is…yes. Whether you are feeling fine, fit, stressed, below par or unwell, you will certainly benefit from a health MOT whatever your age.
It is incredibly easy to lose focus on your health amidst all the competing demands for your time and attention in today’s modern world. Not only does a Health Check give you the time and space to consider your health, it also provides an opportunity for doctors to screen for potential problems early on before they cause more significant issues. Health screening helps to identify people who may be at increased risk of a disease or medical condition, even though they are apparently healthy at present.
At The Walcote Practice, our doctors will set aside dedicated time with you to carry out a full Health Check and to create a personalised Wellness Plan. Our aim is to help you progress towards, and then maintain, an optimal and enjoyable state of health.
Although we are able to carry out Health Checks annually to ensure we keep on top of any potential health problems, based on your personal health profile our doctors will recommend the optimal frequency of Health Checks for you, including less frequent checks if appropriate.
What Happens at a Health Check?
A Health Check is a full health MOT which we specifically tailor to you. Your private GP will assess any risks to your health by:
- Discussing your current health, your medical history and that of your close family members.
- Examining you.
- Ordering any appropriate health screening tests, if required, based on your specific risk factors. Our doctors will only recommend the health screening that is appropriate to you as an individual. Click here to learn more about health screening.
We will also work with you to create a bespoke and realistic personalised Wellness Plan, designed to improve your health and to keep you feeling well and enjoying life. If you have required tests, we will discuss the results with you at a follow up appointment.
Personalised Wellness Plan
Elements of your Wellness Plan may include, if required:
- Advice and setting of health goals tailored to you, eg regarding factors such as diet, exercise, stress management etc.
- Referral for consultations with allied health professionals, eg physiotherapists.
- Ordering further medical tests.
- Starting treatment for any conditions discovered through your health screening tests.
- Referral to a medical specialist.
Please note that, if you wish, your private GP is able to arrange further appointments to work together on meeting the health goals in your Wellness Plan…and in your New Year’s resolutions! Our doctors are always delighted to see patients beginning to feel better as they work towards their goals.