HOW TO STAY WELL THIS FESTIVE SEASON
The festive period is a time for family and festivities but the late nights, overeating and extra drinking can have an impact on your health, leaving you vulnerable to illness or ill health. Our tips below should help ensure you have a happy and healthy festive period:
- It may be tempting to spend hours on the sofa indulging in Christmas television but do try to not sit down all day. Get the family moving by going out for a walk, especially after a large meal – this will help prevent the discomfort of indigestion
- It is easy to overindulge with the alcohol when spending time with family and friends. Alcohol can have a harmful affect on our bodies however so try to intersperse alcoholic drinks with soft drinks, to lessen its effects. Do stay hydrated however by ensuring you drink plenty of water throughout the day
- Help keep colds at bay by washing your hands regularly and if someone in your household does have a cold, keep items such as glasses, cups and cutlery clean. If you do get a cold, use disposable tissues and bin or flush them, then wash your hands to help prevent spreading the infection
- Norovirus or sickness and diarrhoea are common in winter and can spread easily. Whilst it is unpleasant, you can usually treat yourself and symptoms only last about 2 or 3 days. Prevent spreading the infection by staying off work, not visiting others (especially those in hospital) and washing your hands with soap and water. Drinking oral rehydration fluids whilst you are ill can help prevent the chance of dehydration
- Include plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables on your Christmas shopping list. During this period of late nights and overindulging, its more important than ever to keep your body healthy by getting the right amount of vitamins and minerals
- Overspending, cooking, cleaning and endless ‘To Do’ lists can lead to stress over the festive period. Try to keep a sense of humour and proportion – Christmas is just one day of the year and is not worth stressing over. Remember: ‘Tis the season to be jolly’!
Most importantly, have a happy, healthy festive season from everyone at The Walcote Practice.
As always, we will be closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day, but will be here to offer services with our highly experienced GPs during normal working hours, outside of the bank holidays. To book an appointment, call us on 01962 828175 or email email@example.com